Sony has announced the latest camera in their popular RX100 series of compact cameras, the RX100 VI. The new model boasts a 24-200mm focal range and the World’s fastest autofocus at 0.03 seconds.
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8 – F4.5 Large Aperture
- Compact body size of acclaimed RX100 series
- World’s Fastest 0.03 seconds AF speed
- 315 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approximately 65% of frame
- 1.0-type stacked 20.1 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and upgraded BIONZ X™ image processor and Front-end LSI
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 24 fps with full AF/AE tracking
- Optical image stabilisation equivalent to a 4.0-stop faster shutter speed
- High-Resolution 4K Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning plus 4K HDR for instant HDR workflow
The RX100 VI is the first in the series to feature a 24-200mm focal range, the RX100 V had a 24-70mm range. At this range, image stabilisation becomes very important. The built-in Optical SteadyShot provides 4.0 stops of effective stabilisation which will help capture images without motion blur.
Sony claims that the RX100 VI has the World’s fastest autofocus system, able to detect focus in 0.03 seconds. A higher number of AF points also allows for improved AF tracking in photo and video modes. Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) is also included for shooting in high dynamic scenes. Unfortunately, there is still no external microphone input.
SONY VCT-SGR1 SHOOTING GRIP
Sony also announced a new shooting grip accessory to create a high-quality vlogging setup. Compatible with the RX100 and RX0 cameras, it uses a short cable to connect to the camera to provide remote functionality of the photo shutter, movie start/stop and zoom rocker. The grip can also be opened up to act as a small tripod.
The RX100 VI will ship in July and retail for $1,198 USD. The VCT-SGR1 grip will also be available in July and retail for $99.99 USD.